Thursday, January 27, 2011

Big Ideas and Artmaking

S. Walker's article on Bartlett's artwork, In the Garden, features a simple concept of rules and systems created into a complex structure of 200 different drawings.

I was most surprised to find that the way Bartlett connected her drawings to the big idea of rules came about as she was drawing them. In the article, it states that as she was going she created certain rules for drawing this garden. I could hardly believe that she was able to compose 200 different styles.

Walker's article helped me to understand the difference between big ideas and subject matter. Just from a brief introduction, it seemed very similar, however Bartlett's work on In the Garden allowed me to understand that the concept, or big idea, can have several kinds of subject matter.

When pondering about what I may have done to create rules for a concept, the first thing that comes to mind is the color scheme. I think that colors bring cohesiveness to many pieces of related art and would be the simplest to keep throughout 200 different styles. However, I definitely do not have the artistic skill to create the different styles of drawing Bartlett's art must have required.

No comments:

Post a Comment